Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My "Test Kitchen" What pans are acceptable to me

Did anyone else use to sit and love watching Americas Test Kitchen on PBS?  I seriously used to stop what I was doing just to sit and watch that show.   Did I ever use any of the recipes?  Ummm...no.  Personally its really hard for me to follow recipes from cooking shows because a.) they talk really really fast so I can't write down ingredients and steps. b.) this was all before I had ever had a satelite...let alone a dvr...so there was no option to pause, rewind or rewatch. c.) I don't believe t.v.s belong in the kitchen. (or the bedroom either but I've given ground on this account) So, although I never tried any of their actual recipes, I did lear a lot from the show.

My favorite part was when they actually put things to the test.  What brand tortillas was actually best and why?  Why should you spend that much on a certain set of knives?  What cheese was best for that recipe and why?  Sooooo......now that I've started recently spending so much time in my own kitchen I have discovered a few things myself.

1.)  I HATE teflon/nonstick pans.  BLAH!  Whos terrible idea were they anyhow?  I invariably end up ruining them.  They wear out quickly (broken handles, cracked coating etc.) and I'm pretty sure they can't be healthy either.

So, what would I prefer to use and why?

Cast Iron- because these pans are pretty much indestructable with low maintnance.  And I can use a metal spatula to scrape things off the bottom, or a metal scrubby to scrub crusted junk.  Also, They heat well and more evenly.  And are super versatile so you can use them outdoors over a campfire, in the oven, or on the stovetop and expect the same results!  Whats not to love about that?

or........

Stainless Steel- Because once again these are durable and I can use metal.  Also, they are easy to clean with a simple solution of baking soda and vinegar or a metal scrubbie.  I have had the same stainless steel set of pots for probably 6 or 7 years...none of my non stick pans can claim that lifespan!

If I have to use a non stick/ teflon pan, then I would only recommend Farberware.  Why?  Because America's Test Kitchen said they were a great brand.  And also, the one non stick pan in my cupboard with singularily the longest lifespan is a farberware.  It needs replaced because of course I did a non-inteligent thing and left it on a hot stovetop and now the bottom leaves little black specks in the food.  My fault entirely...I acknowlege this.  Poor pan.

So there you have it...
First Place- Cast Iron
Second- Stainless Steel
Third- Farberware ( but you still need to be careful with them)

There are no runners up....all the other ones I have experience with are NOT WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment